from Marjorie's notebook
Steps in the Counseling Process
2. CLARIFY: Help the person put their concern into words.
3. Active listening: find out the client's agenda
a) paraphrase, summarize, reflect, interpret
b) focus on feelings, not events4. Transform problem statements into goal statements.
5. Explore possible approaches to goal
6. Help person choose one way towards goal
DEVELOP A PLAN (may involve several steps)
7. Make a contract to fulfill the plan (or to take the next step)
8. Summarize what has occurred, clarify, get verification
9. Get feedback and confirmation
go back to:
The address of this page is http://proteuscoven.com/counsel/steps.htm
Contents of this page are copyright © 1996 by Marjorie Nelson-Brambir.